[Writer's Choice] US Says Denuclearization Talks Ongoing With North Korea
Jay Yim, Sept. 14, 2018, 5:23 p.m.
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Friday (Sept 14), that talks with North Korea over the country's potential denuclearisation are ongoing, despite the fact it had appeared discussions had stalled.
Pompeo told journalists, "We are still continuing to have many conversations with the DPRK about how to effectuate achieving all the commitments that were made during the Singapore summit".
At a landmark meeting which occured on June 12 with President Donald Trump, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un pledged to denuclearise the Korean peninsula.
However, there were no details that were agreed upon, and Washington and Pyongyang have been sparring since over what exactly that means and how it will and can be achieved.
Last month, Trump abruptly cancelled a planned visit to Pyongyang by Mike Pompeo.
But new group seems to have been broken because the White House is talking of a possible second summit with the US president.
Pompeo stated on Friday that the United States is, "as committed as ever to continuing to enforce those UN Security Council resolutions."
"We believe they are central to President Trump's efforts to convince Chairman Kim that full, final denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula is necessary."